Daily notes...

Random stuff from a scattered mind

Monday, October 02, 2006

My money's no good here

OK, those who know me know I can get a bit paranoid at times. These days it mainly centers around water damage in the house and cops with speed guns around every corner. Since we got the house, I now have a new fear-- contractors. Iowa City is not an inexpensive place to live, yet contractors here are terrible. They apparently don't want our money. The following is an accurate listing of all the head-scratching events we've experienced:

1) Paid a few hundred dollars for a home inspection. The guy misses $10,000 in mold. Thank heaven for good insurance.
2) Scheduled radon mitigation during our honeymoon, when my father would be here waiting for them. They didn't come or call until three days later.
3) Called three tree trimming companies to get estimates for work. Two don't call back, and the one I reached (and was "on their way") never came.
4) Called a concrete company to get an estimate for replacing the driveway. When they sent us the estimate *a month and a half later*, it was almost three times what my parents paid for exactly the same work a few weeks earlier (in Dubuque).
5) Had to pay $150 to get a guy to come out to look at the mold. No tests, no work... just the pleasure of his company.
6) Called a wallpaper removal company to remove wallpaper. They don't call back.
7) Mediacom puts in a new cable line from the pole to the house. They say they'll be out in a week to get it buried. That was 2.5 months and two phone calls ago.
8) Most recently (I wouldn't dare say "finally"), Ransom and I took time off work to be home this afternoon for the Pella window guy to give us an estimate for replacing all our windows and the deck door. He stands us up. I began mentally compiling this list when I realized he wasn't coming, so I was indignant, called his office, and told them exactly why we wouldn't be needing their assistance or giving them any business.

Will someone please explain this to me? Most of these aren't little projects, so I would think it's in their best interests to reply. Is the problem the fact that I'm lining up a lot of these-- would they rather speak to a man? Again, is this paranoia? What do we have to do to make people take our money (and do work)?!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed that to be very true since I moved out to Iowa. The things I like about Iowa (laidback-itude) is probably what causes the things I don't like about Iowans (sometimes not very reliable). I really picked up on that when I would get applauded for showing up on time and fixing stuff for people in a timely fashion. Basically for doing my job.

Also, maybe you should check your address. Maybe after living in the house for awhile you've been giving everybody the wrong address and you need to turn the 6s right side up on your mailbox or something

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This basically sounds like complete hell.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

I've mellowed out a bit since I wrote that post. One of my father's favorite sayings is "If it's a problem money can solve, it's not really a problem". Eventually we will find someone who wants to make money. Until then, we'll save it. If any of you know of good home repair people, let me know!

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have little advice, sorry. All the Iowa City people we used are either not for your problem (when the house starts to sag, call me, I know a great basement jacking guy) or have probably moved on (Wally Wanek, our handy guy (and also M. Dispensa's handy guy) was a little fly-by-night in a gay porn kind of way...).

But I succeeded today in getting a fencing guy to call me back about a measly 50-ft run by making vague promises about a future fence, a sprinkler system, and landscaping.

Like your father says, someday you'll find someone who wants your money.

You should discuss legal recourse regarding the inspector and the mold, though I think they are only liable up to the amount of their fee. If you liked your realtor, talk to them.

Good luck.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home