Year-round pesto (seriously)
It's kind-of pathetic how happy the thought of fresh basil makes me. For years I have been a very cautious eater, and Ransom says I'm still one (he basically told me tonight that he married me in spite of my tastebuds). My first foray into food my mom didn't make me was pesto made with wonderfully fresh basil. I associate the flavor with the University Coffee Cafe, a restaurant my sister and I frequented when I would visit her at Stanford during spring break. That taste is still signifies California and freedom and happiness, so I partake as much as possible. Unfortunately, fresh basil costs about $2.50 per cup at the local grocery store, so it doesn't work into the budget too easily. Now, however, I am going to learn how to grow it hydroponically at home (http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2006/08/29/setting-up-a-hydroponic-herb-garden/). MAKE magazine, I thank you for showing me this!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home